Sunday 20 January 2013

Fego Cafe, Durban North

Fego Cafe in Broadway is one of the many branches of Fego found around the country. In Durban it is often associated with Exclusive Books but it is decent enough to stand on its own. Like most franchises the decor is standard, as is the menu. The plus about this chain is that their menu is quite diverse and offers a wide array of meals and drinks to choose from.

The Durban North branch is the same as any. The service makes a difference though. I asked our waitress what was in the tropical banana smoothie (the menu said it was a blend with dairy). She told me orange juice and mango and banana. I doubted that since one wouldn't normally add acidic orange juice to dairy, right? Correct me if I'm wrong please. She went to ask some of her fellow waitrons and after some discussion cam back and told me the exact same list of ingredients and also some white hot chocolate powder. Needless to say I changed my mind and had a berry crush instead. This was a blend of a mixture of berries, with no dairy, and whilst refreshing enough was too sweet.

The salad I ordered was quite a good portion and the chicken in it was soft and tender. No mark downs here. The rest of the ingredients were fresh and even included real avocado. I hate the places that say avocado on the menu then give you some guacamole from a toothpaste-like tube. That's just wrong. The chicken, mayo and mushroom tramezzini is also good. Give it a try if you visit.

The red velvet cake in the display counter looked fresh and inviting but the other cake slices that surrounded it had seen better days. No dessert for me, thanks.

Verdict
Franchise type food, good portions, nothing to write home about.

Aside
Better service would make the whole experience more positive. Try their honey and horlicks or nutella milkshake.

1 comment:

  1. A group of my work colleagues and I went to FEGO Caffé in Durban North for a business meeting.The place was really really busy and I was actually surprised at the number of corporate clients that this Fego attracts. The manager on duty and his staff were extremely busy making sure that everyone was taken care of and I must say that they executed this task perfectly. The waiters joined 3 tables together for us and our meeting lasted about an hour and half. During this duration, most of us just had tea and ice tap water, which was free, and not much else was ordered. I know from my previous experiences with other establishments that the waiters and managers tend to get annoyed with patrons hogging up their tables and not ordering anything substantial when the restaurant is really busy. However, I was very impressed with the manner in which we were treated. No one was rude to us nor did anyone make us uncomfortable to leave. I actually felt a bit a bit guilty taking up their space when they were so busy with actual paying customers with big food and drink. orders. We still received excellent service from all the staff who assisted us whenever we needed anything. We were allowed to use their wi-fi and the waiters really made all of us feel at home. I will now definitely be a regular customer at this particular Fego Caffe because service such as theirs is really hard to find in this day and age. Well done guys!!

    ReplyDelete